When fruit isn’t good for you

There’s been a rash of norovirus outbreaks lately. Last month there was a norovirus outbreak at a meeting for the Oregon Department of Forestry that was held in Forest Grove. The meeting was catered by Forest Grove restaurant Maggie’s Buns, which has been in business for some 16 years. The outbreak was likely caused by a fruit tray, but Maggie’s Buns claims to have served fruit from the same source at another event as well as in the restaurant with no illnesses. It is not known when the fruit may have been contaminated. Maggie’s Buns also contends that no employees were ill.

Fifteen attendees came down with the norovirus after the meeting and became very ill. One meeting attendee, 43-year-old Kevin Weeks, died, though the cause of death was likely not related to the virus. Norovirus is very contagious, and people generally feel sick a couple of days. Some 800 people a year die from norovirus, though the majority of the deaths involve the elderly.

For more on this story, see this article.