When fruit isn’t good for you

There’s been a rash of norovirus outbreaks lately. Last month there was a norovirus outbreak at a meeting for the Oregon Department of Forestry that was held in Forest Grove. The meeting was catered by Forest Grove restaurant Maggie’s Buns, which has been in business for some 16 years. The outbreak was likely caused by… read more

Flaming hand sanitizer

A couple of months ago a 12-year-old cancer patient at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital was involved in a freak accident in the hospital in which she suffered severe burns. The fire was caused by a “perfect storm” of ingredients that included olive oil, hand sanitizer, and static electricity. Initially Stephen Lane, the patient’s father, had stated… read more

Get the lead out … of baby food

The Environmental Law Foundation of Oakland, California, has filed a lawsuit in an attempt to prompt more than two dozen baby food manufacturers to print warnings on their product labels alerting consumers to possible lead exposure. The organization alleges that a number of baby foods, including carrots, peaches, pears, and fruit juices, carry dangerous levels… read more

Dental nightmare

A lot of people have anxiety about going to the dentist. Well, a couple hundred dental patients in Tulsa, Oklahoma, have a very valid reason for now being scared to go to the dentist. Oral surgeon W. Scott Harrington of Tulsa has been charged by the Tulsa Health Department with unsanitary practices to the point… read more