Can Medical Malpractice Cause a Spinal Cord Injury?
Posted on July 19, 2023 in Medical Malpractice
We trust that medical procedures will be performed without incident, and with the proper amount of time for healing, we will be back to regular life again. But routine procedures can end with devastating consequences for many reasons. The thought is frightening enough, but the real-life negligence of a physician can be catastrophic.
Spinal cord injuries can result from medical malpractice and result in irreparable damage. Coping with the physical and psychological results can be traumatic, and the thought of legal action is overwhelming. Recognized for their superior standard of work in successfully pursuing injury claims, Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC is the Portland medical malpractice law firm that has a proven course of action to secure the compensation you deserve.
Spinal Cord Injuries Caused by Medical Malpractice
The spinal cord carries millions of nerve signals from the brain throughout the body. When this tube of tissue becomes damaged, the sensations you normally feel may no longer occur because of the disruption of the signals.
Spinal cord injuries can occur from medical malpractice in many ways. Below are a few of the more common causes of injury.
- Dural tears and spinal fluid leakage caused by surgery can lead to infection, increase the risk of spinal meningitis, and lead to follow-up surgeries to repair the damage.
- The spinal cord becomes damaged during an invasive medical procedure.
- Surgeries to correct discs result in the physician injuring the spinal cord.
- The improper administration of pain blockers, such as epidurals, damage the spinal cord.
- Improperly sterilized tools lead to an infection that damages the spinal column.
- Medical tools are not removed or are broken during surgery, causing damage to the spinal cord.
A Portland Medical Malpractice Team is Here for You
Proving medical malpractice can be extremely challenging. A knowledgeable, dedicated team is required to pursue the evidence to support your claim for the damages you are suffering. Medical malpractice insurers are prepared to fight, making it difficult to access the information you need, document the injuries, and use stalling practices to wait you out because they understand how depleting the process can be.
A qualified team will assist by:
- Assuring your claim is filed within the statute of limitations
- Compiling medical bills and other expense receipts to document your claim
- Work with experts to testify to your damages
- Compile witnesses that can verify your injuries
- Discover other possible incidents of improper medical procedures by the same physician or medical team
- Assign the appropriate value to your losses so that you are properly compensated for future hardship
Spinal Cord Injury Damages in Medical Malpractice
There are many factors determining the amount of compensation you receive. Your spinal cord injury attorney in Portland should exhaust every option for compensation. Clients may receive compensation for the following damages below. This list is not exhaustive.
- All medical bills and treatments resulting from the injury, including future medical costs, rehabilitation services, and future therapies
- Loss of income and future bonus and wages
- Pain and Suffering from physical and emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life and loss of consortium
Speak with a Portland Spinal Cord Injury Attorney Now
It is critical to act immediately in a medical malpractice claim. A free consultation with the team at Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC can help remove your stress, replacing it with a sense of calm and compassion. While we take action, you can focus on healing and reclaiming your life today.