Surgical Error Attorney in Portland
Compassionate Legal Representation in Portland
Ambulatory surgery centers provide an alternative to hospitalization for patients undergoing surgical procedures. Surgery centers provide outpatient surgery services, typically at less cost and with greater convenience than a traditional hospital setting. On the down side, patients in surgery centers face all the risks associated with surgery in a hospital and more. If you have been injured because of a surgical error in Portland, contact Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC to request a consultation. You may be entitled to compensation for your losses.
Why Choose Our Portland Surgical Error Attorney?
- We are tough advocates for injured people with a successful track record recovering compensation for our clients.
- We maintain a smaller caseload, so we can provide the attention your case deserves.
- Our Portland medical malpractice attorneys can negotiate skillfully on your behalf and will not hesitate to go to trial if necessary to pursue maximum compensation for your injuries.
- We have more than 50 years of combined experience along with an excellent reputation.
What Are Common Surgery Center Errors and Causes?
Unlike hospitals, surgery centers are typically owned by physicians or physician groups. They may not have rigorous risk management procedures in place to minimize patient risk. Common surgery center errors include:
- Failure to properly sterilize equipment: When detailed guidelines for sterilizing surgical areas and equipment are lacking, patients may face the risk of serious infection.
- Lack of oversight: Surgery centers are smaller than hospitals and have fewer staff members to monitor patients and ensure that all staff are performing to the necessary standards. Without sufficient oversight, medical errors can occur, such as administering the wrong medication or the wrong dosage to a patient.
- Premature discharge: Surgery centers are designed to get patients in and out. However, some patients require an overnight stay. An injury may result when a surgery center discharges a patient who needs additional care and monitoring.
- Equipment malfunction: When surgery centers lack adequate policies for checking to ensure equipment is functioning properly, patients can be injured if equipment malfunctions.
- Lack of accreditation: Many states do not require accreditation for surgery centers unless they accept Medicare or private insurance. Lack of accreditation means fewer safety guidelines and greater patient risk.
Liability for a Surgical Error in Portland
The doctor, surgery center, or another party may be liable for a patient’s injuries caused by medical error, depending on what caused the injury and whether the doctor is an owner, employee, or private contractor. Our experienced injury attorney in Portland can investigate your injuries to determine who is the responsible party.
What Damages Can I Recover for My Injuries?
After serious injuries caused by surgery center errors, you may be entitled to recover economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages include past and future medical expenses, lost wages, and loss of earning potential. Non-economic damages include fewer tangible losses, such as pain and suffering, mental anguish, and emotional distress. In Oregon, unlike other states, there is no cap on non-economic damages for medical malpractices claims, with the exception of wrongful death lawsuits in Portland.
Why You Need a Lawyer
An experienced medical malpractice attorney can make all the difference in the outcome of your case. Surgery center error and other medical malpractice cases are complex legal matters, requiring specific knowledge, skills, and resources. Our Portland lawyers at Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC have extensive experience and a history of success handling medical malpractice cases.
Contact Us Today
Surgery center errors can have devastating, long-term effects for patients. If you have been injured by surgery center medical malpractice, contact Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC today for a free case consultation.