Distracted Driver Injury Attorney in Portland
Texting while driving has been found to be six times more dangerous than driving under the influence. The number of distracted driving accidents continues to rise, in large part due to drivers who choose to text or use other digital devices while operating a vehicle.
Distracted driving can take many forms, from drivers who are grooming, making phone calls, adjusting in-vehicle systems, or simply not paying attention. Distracted driving conduct puts all others sharing the roadways at risk of suffering a serious or fatal injury in a collision. If you or a loved one has been injured as a result of the actions of a distracted driver, you have a right to be compensated for your losses.
Why Choose Us?
At Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC, our attorneys can help victims of distracted driving recover compensation for their injuries.
- We have more than 50 years of combined legal experience that has earned us an outstanding reputation and numerous recognitions from respected organizations.
- We are aggressive negotiators and experienced trial lawyers. We will not hesitate to take your case to trial to recover the maximum possible compensation.
- We maintain a small caseload so that we can give personal, undivided attention to the clients that we choose to represent.
Common Types of Distracted Driving
The Centers for Disease Control describes three basic categories of distracted driving:
- Visual: This is the action of driving without focusing on the road ahead.
- Manual: This occurs when a driver takes his or her hands off the wheel. This commonly involves using a phone or adjusting systems in the vehicle such as GPS.
- Cognitive: This type of distracted driving is related to a vehicle operator taking his or her attention off driving, and being preoccupied by other thoughts, worries, conversations with passengers, etc.
Distracted Driving Statistics
Accidents caused by distracted driving are on the rise, and the youngest drivers are most likely to be involved in such crashes.
- According to data collected by the National Highway Safety Administration, 15 percent of almost 400,000 injury crashes in 2015 involved distracted drivers.
- The National Safety Council estimates that cell phones are responsible for more than a quarter of car crashes.
- Nearly 60 percent of crashes involving teen drivers are caused by distracted driving.
Distracted Driving Laws in Portland and Oregon
In Oregon, drivers are forbidden to use any electronic device while driving. Eating and applying makeup are also forbidden.
Who is Liable?
If it can be established that your injuries are the result of distracted driving, you have a case for compensation through the insurance carrier for the driver who caused the accident, or a lawsuit filed against the negligent driver in civil court. Punitive damages (damages that punish a negligent party) may be sought in Oregon.
Why You Need a Lawyer
Your chances of receiving the compensation that you deserve are greatly increased when you have an experienced attorney building and presenting your case. Insurance companies know who is representing you and often treat accident victims differently when they hire an attorney. At Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys, PC, our attorneys will manage your case from beginning to end. We consistently seek the maximum possible in compensation from every possible source.
Contact Us Today
A no-cost consultation with Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC can help you understand your legal options. Contact us for an informed evaluation of your case. We charge no fees unless we win – there is no risk in contacting us for help.