Portland Catastrophic Injury Attorney
A catastrophic injury has a lifetime of consequences. The injured person, along with close family, will be dealing with countless difficult challenges in the years ahead. If you or a loved one have suffered a catastrophic injury, our attorneys can help secure the compensation you and your family need to move forward.
Why Choose Us in a Catastrophic Injury Case?
At Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC, we are not your standard personal injury law firm. As trial lawyers with an extensive record of high-value settlements and verdicts, we are known for our dedication to the people we represent.
- Our litigation team has over 50 years of combined legal experience at trial and we are proud to have achieved an excellent reputation for our legal work in cases of catastrophic injury.
- We seek to recover the maximum possible in compensation from every liable source. Our goal is to hold the responsible parties accountable for their actions and to protect the rights of the people we serve.
- We work on a contingency fee basis – we charge no legal fees unless we win.
What is a Catastrophic Injury?
While there is no specific legal definition, catastrophic injury typically refers to a significant injury that permanently prevents the victim from performing work or maintaining gainful employment. These injuries often include physical or mental impairments. Some of the most common types of catastrophic injuries include:
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Loss of limb
- Loss of eyesight
- Neck injuries
- Multiple broken bones
- Paralysis (paraplegia, quadriplegia)
- Back injury
- Severe burns
- Organ damage
- Vegetative state
Damages in a Catastrophic Injury Case
In a catastrophic injury, a high-value settlement or jury award is pursued – as the injured person often requires a lifetime of expensive medical care, medical equipment, extensive rehabilitation treatments, many surgeries, nursing care, or other needs. To determine the level of financial compensation that should be pursued involves getting assistance from medical experts, financial experts, and other professional resources. The damages pursued fall into two basic categories:
- Economic Damages: These are the actual financial costs resulting from the injury, including loss of income from work, lost earning capacity, medical costs (now and future), rehabilitation costs, and all other financial losses associated with the injuries.
- Non-Economic Damages: Often a large portion of a jury award or settlement, these are the damages associated with loss of quality of life, pain and suffering, emotional anguish, loss of consortium or others.
- Punitive Damages: These are damages intended to punish a negligent party. More difficult to recover, these damages are only paid when it can be established that the negligent party acted with malice or an outrageous indifference to a highly unreasonable risk of harm.
Why You Need a Lawyer in a Catastrophic Injury Case
After a catastrophic injury, the injured person and his or her family are naturally focused on recovery and health. You may be unaware of the importance of securing legal representation as early as possible. For a catastrophic injury case to be successful, it must be supported by extensive evidence, much of which must be identified and preserved at once.
An accident site investigation may be necessary or interviews with medical professionals who were present when a medical error occurred. The amount of compensation you will be able to recover will be the result of the quality of the evidence supporting the claim. At Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC, we are often called upon to serve in cases of catastrophic injury. We are litigators, trial lawyers, and dedicated to seeking justice for the people we serve.
At Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC, we offer a free case consultation and we charge no fees unless we win. We urge you to contact us, so we can evaluate your case, advise you how to move forward, and help take the next step in seeking justice.