Portland Orthopedic Surgery Mistake Lawyer
Orthopedic surgeons operate on delicate areas of the body, including muscles, joints, nerves, tendons, and the spinal cord. Errors in orthopedic surgery can cause major damage that can seriously impact a patient’s quality of life. If you have been injured by an orthopedic surgeon ’s mistakes, call Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC. Our Portland orthopedic surgery mistake attorney has a successful track record recovering compensation for our clients.
Why Choose Us?
- Our Portland medical malpractice trial lawyers have combined experience of more than 50 years.
- We are aggressive negotiators and will not hesitate to go to trial to recover maximum compensation for you.
- We maintain a smaller caseload, so we can give your case our personal, undivided attention.
Common Orthopedic Surgery Mistakes
According to an article in Orthopedics Today, in a survey of its members conducted by the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, 483 out of 917 respondents (53%) reported committing a medical error in the previous six months. The most common medical errors reported were:
- Equipment errors (29%)
- Communication errors (24.7%)
- Medication errors (9.7%)
- Wrong-site surgery (5.6%)
Of the wrong-site surgical errors, surgeons reported operating: on the wrong side (59%); on another wrong site, such as the wrong digit (23%); performing the wrong procedure (14%); or on the wrong patient (5%).
Causes of Orthopedic Surgery Mistakes
Factors that may contribute to errors in orthopedic surgery include:
- Time pressure
- OR scheduling errors
- Communication failures
- Lack of surgical technique or competence
Who Is Liable?
Liability for orthopedic surgery mistakes depends on the cause of the errors. An orthopedic surgeon who makes surgical errors may be held liable for the patient’s injuries if negligence can be established. In some cases, the hospital cannot be held liable for surgical mistakes, as the surgeon is operating as an independent contractor, not an employee of the hospital. Speak to a surgical error attorney in Portland to discuss your legal options.
However, some orthopedic surgery mistakes result from faulty equipment or other factors that are the hospital’s responsibility. In such cases, the hospital may be found responsible for the injured patient’s damages.
Why You Need a Portland Orthopedic Surgery Error Lawyer
Medical malpractice cases can be complex and difficult to prove. They may involve multiple potentially liable parties and complicated legal and medical issues. To win a claim for orthopedic surgery mistakes, you must establish:
- That a doctor-patient relationship existed between you and the responsible party;
- The accepted standard of care under the circumstances (skill and attention a similarly qualified healthcare provider in the same medical community would have provided);
- That the doctor or provider’s conduct was negligent as it fell below the accepted standard of care; and
- That the provider’s medical negligence caused quantifiable harm to you.
Our Portland medical malpractice attorneys have the knowledge and skills to thoroughly investigate your injuries, obtain and preserve evidence, assess the full extent of your damages, and prepare and present a strong claim. We can negotiate skillfully on your behalf and will not hesitate to take your case trial if necessary.
At Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC in Portland, we believe that orthopedic surgeons and hospitals should be held accountable for preventable surgical errors, including surgery on the wrong site or the wrong person.
Contact Us Today
If you have been injured by an orthopedic surgery mistake, contact Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC as soon as possible. You can have confidence that, if our personal injury attorney in Portland represents you, they will be honest and transparent and act in your best interests at all times.