Truck Accident Attorney in Vancouver, WA
Accidents involving trucks involve significant risks. If you’ve ever felt an enormous semi-truck edging too close to you on a freeway, you have probably sensed its sheer mass compared to your passenger vehicle.
Accidents involving commercial vehicles and heavy trucks are almost twice as likely to result in fatalities as those involving passenger vehicles, according to the Washington State Department of Transportation. Injuries from these accidents can change the lives of those involved in an instant, creating physical and financial challenges that may be difficult to overcome.
If you or a family member has been injured in a truck accident, you need to understand as much as possible about your legal options and the correct steps to take in the aftermath of your injury. Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC can help stay on the right track and lead you to the settlement that you deserve.
Why Choose Us?
Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC attorneys work under the mandate “liberty and justice for all.” Our dedicated and successful team offers many advantages to clients:
- We maintain a small caseload to ensure that we can give personal and undivided attention to the clients that we represent.
- We work on a contingency fee basis. There is no fee to you unless we win.
- We are aggressive negotiators and experienced trial lawyers. We will not hesitate to take your case to trial to recover the maximum possible compensation.
Types of Truck Accidents In Vancouver
Safely navigating a vehicle the size of a semi-truck is much more challenging than driving a passenger car. A maneuver as simple as stopping in time to avoid colliding with a vehicle that is no longer moving involves an entirely different set of physical forces.
Truck accidents fall into several categories:
- Driver Negligence: In the worst cases, this can involve driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs or driving with insufficient sleep. Truck drivers are not immune to distraction by cell phones or texting. Dangerous turns, driving too close behind another vehicle, speeding or other violations of traffic laws can lead to collisions.
- Poor Vehicle Maintenance: Brakes are especially important for vehicles that weigh as much as 20 times more than the average passenger car. If axle brakes lock, this can cause the truck trailer to jackknife uncontrollably and possibly cause the truck to roll over.
- Unavoidable Blockage: An ill-considered turn, a reckless attempt at passing another vehicle or other maneuver by a truck can create a barrier that is virtually impossible for other drivers to avoid, leading to a collision or forcing them off the road.
Truck Accident Statistics in Washington
According to the Washington Department of Transportation, accidents involving heavy-duty trucks and commercial vehicles occur at an average rate of nearly 17 collisions per day. About two percent of these accidents result in fatalities or serious injuries.
Who is Liable?
Liability can vary according to the circumstances of your accident. If it is clearly a matter of reckless or illegal behavior by the truck driver, liability may rest squarely with them. If the driver was driving with inadequate rest to meet an unreasonable schedule demand from an employer, the employer may be held liable.
If the accident was caused because of vehicle failure that was the result of inadequate maintenance, the trucking company may be held liable. If the driver of the truck is also the owner, that could change the assignment of liability. In the event that dangerous road conditions resulting from neglecting road repairs caused the accident, there may be a case against the entity responsible for the road.
Why You Need a Lawyer
A personal injury claim in Vancouver is based on evidence that an injury is the result of reckless or negligent behavior by another. Your ability to pursue a settlement that fully compensates you for your losses depends on the presence or absence of such evidence and your ability to present it convincingly.
In addition, if you are found to be responsible for the accident to any extent, the damages you are awarded will be reduced by that percentage. If you do not have guidance from an attorney with extensive experience in truck injury cases and familiarity with the strategies behind successful cases, your chances of receiving the settlement you deserve are greatly reduced.
Contact Us Today
Contact Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC if you or a loved one was seriously injured in a trucking accident. We offer a free case consultation.