Birth Injury Attorney in Vancouver, WA
Injuries during childbirth may leave a child permanently injured. When the medical professionals attending the birth fail to meet an “accepted standard of care,” and a child is seriously injured due to this failure, a birth injury lawsuit can be pursued to seek justice. At Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC, our team of litigators serves as counsel for families who have been affected by birth injury in Vancouver and Washington.
Why Choose Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC?
Over our years in practice, our trial lawyer team has often been called upon to represent injured children in cases of medical negligence, including birth injury cases, and bring powerful resources to assist families in seeking justice, including:
- We have more than 50years of combined legal experience, have an excellent reputation as trial lawyers, and have been the recipient of many recognitions from respected organizations.
- We are aggressive negotiators and experienced trial lawyers. We will not hesitate to take your case to trial to seek to recover the maximum possible compensation.
- Our Vancouver medical malpractice lawyers intentionally maintain a smaller caseload so that we can give personal, undivided attention to the clients we represent.
Birth Injuries and Their Consequences
There are several forms of birth injuries that may be the result of doctor negligence or malpractice. These include:
- Brachial Plexus Injuries: If a doctor pulls too forcefully, or incorrectly, during delivery, damage to the nerves responsible for moving the arms and hands can result. These injuries can impact the mobility and growth of an infant’s arm, in some cases resulting in a lifetime of impairments.
- Erb’s Palsy: The network of nerves from neck to spinal cord serve the function of allowing a person to control shoulder, arm, hands, and fingers. When damaged during birth, the child may be left with permanent physical damage.
- Cerebral Palsy: Related to the restriction of oxygen during birth, the consequences to a child may include both physical and cognitive impairments.
- Facial Paralysis: If forceps or vacuum extraction are used to assist in the birth process, incorrect use may lead to damage to facial nerves and some degree of facial paralysis.
- Brain Injuries: Oxygen deprivation to the brain during the birth process can cause permanent damage. In some cases, oxygen deprivation has been established as being due to a failure to take the correct actions when a baby is in distress during the birth process. Medical professionals are expected to take specific actions during birth, termed the “accepted standard of care.” A failure to act, leading to an injured child, may be medical malpractice.
- Fractures: A fractured clavicle can result if the baby is subjected to excessive force during the birth process.
- Cephalohematoma: Tools used to assist birth can cause bleeding beneath the cranial bones. This will be visible as a bump on the top of the infant’s head. This injury may lead to serious complications.
Liability for a Birth Injury in Vancouver
The liable parties in a birth injury case may be one or more of the following:
- Assisting medical professionals
- Hospital or birthing center
- EMT personnel
What Damages Can You Recover After a Birth Injury?
If your child has suffered permanent damage, a full evaluation of the projected costs of future personal and medical care must be undertaken. Generally, the compensatory damages pursued in court will include:
- Medical costs, past, present, and future
- Costs of ongoing medical care, nursing care
- Alterations to the home to accommodate needs, such as wheelchair ramps, hospital beds, etc.
- Lost earning potential
- Loss of quality of life
Why Consider Hiring a Vancouver Birth Injury Attorney?
In cases of birth injury, it is critical that you have experienced legal representation to help you pursue full and fair compensation. The need to call upon respected medical experts, financial experts, along with ensuring all filings are performed within the required time limit. We understand that no amount of money can ever make what happened to your child right, but it can help secure a better future for your family and cover the costs of medical care and treatment.
Medical malpractice cases are exceptionally complex, often heavily contested, and demands top-level legal skills to achieve a positive outcome. At Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC, our Vancouver personal injury attorney is here to help you seek justice for your child.
Contact Us Today
If your child was seriously injured during the birth process, Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC can help. Contact our birth injury lawyers for a free, confidential case evaluation.