Bend Wrongful Death Attorney
Losing a loved one can be devastating, particularly when that death was caused by someone else’s negligence. Our experienced personal injury lawyers at Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC are tough advocates for wrongful death victims and their families. Contact us as soon as possible for dedicated legal assistance in seeking justice for your loved one and compensation for your family’s losses.
Why Choose Us?
- We are honest and transparent with our clients and will act at all times in your best interests.
- We are experienced negotiators and aggressive trial lawyers with a successful track record, both in and out of court.
- We operate on a contingency fee basis and do not charge any fees until we win a recovery for you.
What Is Wrongful Death?
Wrongful death can be defined as the death of a person resulting from the wrongful act of another. It is the basis for a lawsuit filed against the responsible party by surviving family members of the deceased. In a wrongful death action, the victim would have had a personal injury claim against the responsible party had he or she survived.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
A wrongful death claim can arise in any situation where someone’s negligence or wrongdoing results in the death of a human being. Common causes include:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products
- Workplace Accidents
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Bend, Oregon?
As stated in Oregon Revised Statutes Section 30.020, a wrongful death action may be brought by the personal representative – the person who administers the estate of the deceased. The personal representative may be named in the will of the decedent or agreed on among the beneficiaries, but must be ultimately approved and appointed by the judge.
Who Can Benefit from a Wrongful Death Claim?
The statute provides that a wrongful death action is for the benefit of the decedent’s:
- Surviving spouse
- Surviving children
- Surviving parents
- Individuals who would be entitled to inherit under the laws of intestate (without a will) succession
Damages in a Wrongful Death Claim
Damages in a wrongful death claim may be awarded for:
- Medical expenses related to the last illness or injury of the deceased
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Disability, pain and suffering, and lost income of the deceased from the date of the injury to the date of death
- Pecuniary loss to the decedent’s estate
- Pecuniary loss and loss of society, companionship, and services of the decedent suffered by surviving family members
- Punitive damages (designed to punish the defendant) that the decedent would have been entitled to recover if he or she had lived
Why You Need a Lawyer
Fault may be difficult to prove in some wrongful death claims. Your best course of action is to consult with an experienced lawyer. Our wrongful death attorneys can investigate the accident or injury to determine and establish fault, assess the full extent of your family’s losses, and negotiate skillfully or fight aggressively for the compensation you deserve.
Contact Us Today
A wrongful death claim allows you to seek justice for your deceased loved one along with compensation for your family’s future. Call Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC today to schedule a free consultation if you have lost a family member through the negligence of another.