Bend Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Bicyclists are completely unprotected and vulnerable to serious injuries in a crash with a motor vehicle. If you have been hurt in a bicycle accident that was someone else’s fault, contact the Bend personal injury lawyers at Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC right away. We are committed to holding careless motorists accountable for injuries they have caused to bicyclists.
Why Choose Our Firm?
- We are a boutique law firm that can give your case the personal attention it deserves.
- Our trial lawyers have a successful track record in recovering compensation for our clients.
- Our attorneys have more than 100 years of combined experience.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
The Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) reports the following facts for 2016:
- 847 bicycle crashes resulting in injury occurred statewide.
- 11 of these bicycle accidents were fatal.
- 836 caused nonfatal injuries.
Nationwide, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports:
- 840 bicyclists killed in traffic crashes in 2016.
- 45,000 bicyclists injured in 2015, the most recent year for which injury statistics are available.
Common Types of Bicycle Accidents
Many bicycle accidents are caused by distracted or negligent drivers. Common types of crashes include:
- Side-swipes: These accidents occur when a motorist does not allow enough room for the bicyclist while passing.
- Dooring: Bicyclists are frequently injured when motorists open car doors directly in their path. This type of crash is more common on busy streets with heavy traffic that forces cyclists closer to parked cars.
- Rear-end collisions: Drivers who rear-end bicyclists are generally distracted and/or following too closely.
- Left-cross and right-cross crashes: This type of accident occurs when a vehicle turning left or right crosses into the path of a bicyclist at an intersection. In many cases, drivers simply fail to register the bicycle in the roadway until it is too late.
Common Injuries in Bicycle Accidents
Bicyclists are vulnerable to serious injuries in a crash. Common injuries in bicycle accidents include:
- Head and neck injuries
- Brain injury
- Fractured clavicle
- Broken legs
- Fractured hands and elbows
- Dental and jaw injuries
- Dislocated joints
Who Is Liable?
In the state of Oregon, the same laws for establishing liability apply to bicycles and cars. Whichever driver or operator was negligent and caused the accident is liable for damages. Under Oregon’s modified comparative negligence laws, if someone else caused the accident, your award for damages may be reduced by the percentage of fault assigned to you. For example, if your damages amounted to $100,000 and you were found to be 20% to blame for the accident, your award would be reduced to $80,000.
Why You Need a Lawyer
If a negligent driver caused your bicycle accident and injuries, that party’s insurance company will try to assign as much fault for the accident as possible to you in an effort to reduce the payout. It is in your best interests to have an experienced bicycle accident attorney by your side, who can determine and establish cause and liability, negotiate skillfully with insurance companies on your behalf, and fight aggressively for your rights in court, if necessary.
Connect with Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC
Our attorneys have a reputation for recovering substantial compensation for our clients. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident caused by the negligence of another, call Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC as soon as possible. We can help you pursue the full and fair compensation you deserve.