Bend Misdiagnosis Lawyer
Misdiagnosis is a common form of medical malpractice that can have disastrous effects for the patient. If you have been injured through misdiagnosis, contact Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC today. Our experienced Bend misdiagnosis lawyers are tough legal advocates for injured people.
Why Choose Us?
- Our attorneys are honest and transparent and act at all times in the best interests of our clients.
- We are aggressive negotiators and will not hesitate to take your case to trial if it means recovering the maximum compensation possible.
- With more than a century of combined legal experience, our Bend medical malpractice law firm has a reputation for excellence and numerous recognitions and awards from respected organizations.
What Is a Medical Misdiagnosis?
Misdiagnosis is a type of medical error involving an incorrect diagnosis of an illness or condition. In such a case, the doctor says you have certain illness or condition, but the diagnosis is incorrect. A missed diagnosis is similar to misdiagnosis. It involves a lack of diagnosis, which can lead to incorrect treatment or no treatment at all.
Facts about Misdiagnosis
According to the National Practitioner Databank, the total sum paid out was $3,925,073,250. Medical malpractice claims for medical errors in diagnosis accounted for a full 34% of that amount.
What Are the Main Types of Diagnostic Errors?
Physicians and healthcare professionals can make diagnosis errors in several different ways, including:
- Wrong diagnosis: In this case, the doctor diagnoses the patient with the wrong illness. For example, when a patient is having a heart attack, the physician may diagnose the patient with gastric problems, leaving the actual serious condition untreated.
- Missed diagnosis: The physician misses an existing illness or disease and gives the patient a clean bill of health. This results in a lack of treatment and possible worsening of the illness or disease.
- Delayed diagnosis: After a significant delay, the doctor makes the correct diagnosis. This type of medical error can have serious consequences when a diagnosis is delayed for cancer or other conditions for which early diagnosis and treatment are essential.
- Failure to identify complications: The doctor makes a correct diagnosis but fails to identify complications or aggravating factors.
- Failure to diagnose a related disease: The patient has more than one related diseases, but the doctor only diagnoses one. Patients with certain primary diseases have a higher risk of developing related diseases.
- Failure to diagnose an unrelated disease: The patient has two or more unrelated diseases. The physician correctly diagnoses one but fails to diagnose and treat the others.
Misdiagnosis in Bend Emergency Rooms
Because of increased time pressure, the incidence of misdiagnosis is much higher in emergency rooms. Unfortunately, because of the severe nature of injuries and illnesses typically treated in emergency rooms, misdiagnosis is more likely to have harmful effects. Less common conditions are also likely to be misdiagnosed in emergency rooms.
Examples of illnesses and conditions commonly misdiagnosed in emergency rooms include:
- Heart attack
- Pulmonary embolism
Contact Our Bend Misdiagnosis Lawyer Today
Medical malpractice claims are highly regulated cases, involving complex legal and medical issues and often requiring the testimony of expert witnesses. Our Bend personal injury trial lawyers at Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC have the knowledge, skills, and resources to effectively pursue a claim for compensation. Call us right away to schedule a consultation if you have been a victim of misdiagnosis.