Bend Medication/Prescription Errors Attorney
As reported in the Diederich Healthcare 2018 Medical Malpractice Payout Analysis, medication errors accounted for five percent of the nearly $4 billion paid out for medical malpractice claims in the U.S. in 2017. If you have been injured because of a medication or prescription error, contact Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC right away. We are dedicated legal advocates for victims of medical malpractice.
Why Choose Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC?
- We have a high success rate, both in and out of the courtroom, and you can trust us to be your legal advocates.
- Our Bend medical malpractice attorneys are aggressive negotiators and skilled trial lawyers with more than 50 years of combined legal experience.
- We are a boutique law firm, committed to providing the personalized, undivided attention you and your case deserve.
What Is a Medication Error?
A medication error is a failure in the treatment process that causes harm to the patient or has the potential to cause harm. The World Health Organization (WHO) offers the following definition for a medication error: “Any preventable event that may cause or lead to inappropriate medication use or patient harm.”
What Are Some Types of Medication/Prescription Errors?
Medication errors can occur in several different ways, including:
- Prescribing errors: This may involve errors in deciding which medication to prescribe (inappropriate or ineffective prescribing, underprescribing, or overprescribing) or in writing the prescription. Physicians can make mistakes about which medication and what dosage to prescribe.
- Manufacturing errors: The formulation may be the wrong strength, contain contaminants or adulterants, or have wrong or misleading packaging.
- Dispensing errors: The wrong drug or wrong formulation may be dispensed, or the wrong label may be provided.
- Administering errors: These preventable errors may involve the wrong dose, wrong frequency, wrong duration, or wrong route. Different medications must be administered in different ways. For example, a medication that should be injected into the muscle might be injected directly into the bloodstream, or vice versa.
- Monitoring errors: This involves failure to alter therapy when required, or erroneously altering therapy. Patients may suffer injury when necessary monitoring is not ordered or performed, or when abnormal symptoms occur and healthcare professionals fail to take the necessary action.
Who Is Liable for a Medication Error in Bend?
Medication and prescription errors are a common type of medical malpractice. Anyone involved in prescribing or administering medications is potentially liable for errors. This may include:
- Pharmaceutical manufacturers
Why You Need a Bend Medication Error Lawyer
Depending on the circumstances, medication and prescription errors can cause injuries ranging in severity from mild to life-threatening. If you believe you have been the victim of a medication error and suffered serious harm as a result, your best course of action is to consult with an experienced medical malpractice attorney as soon as possible. Our Oregon trial lawyers have the knowledge, skills, and resources to assist you in a medical malpractice claim for compensation.
Get in Touch with Our Firm Today
Our medical malpractice lawyers at Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC are committed to holding negligent healthcare professional responsible for the harm they cause to patients. We believe that patients are entitled to a certain standard of care and should be fully compensated if they are injured through preventable medical errors. Call us today to schedule a free consultation if you have been a victim of medication or prescription errors.