Thoracic Spinal Cord Injuries
A spinal cord injury can be life-altering, and when it comes to thoracic spinal cord injuries, understanding the causes, consequences, and potential compensation available is crucial. Whether you or a loved one have experienced such an injury, or you simply seek information, the Portland spinal cord injury lawyers at Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC are here to provide insights and guidance.
How Do Spinal Cord Injuries Occur?
Spinal cord injuries can occur in a multitude of scenarios, each with its own unique circumstances. Accidents and incidents that impact the spinal cord are often unpredictable and can vary in severity.
Common causes of spinal cord injuries in Portland include:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: Traffic accidents, including car, motorcycle, and truck accidents, are a frequent cause of spinal cord injuries. The force of impact and the nature of the accident can lead to trauma affecting the spinal cord.
- Falls: Slip and fall accidents, especially from significant heights or onto hard surfaces, can result in spinal cord injuries. These accidents are more common than one might think, and the consequences can be severe.
- Acts of Violence: Unfortunately, acts of violence, such as assaults, can lead to spinal cord injuries. These injuries often result from blunt force or penetrating trauma.
- Medical Malpractice: In some cases, medical errors or negligence during surgical procedures can lead to spinal cord injuries. It is crucial to explore the legal aspects of such cases with an experienced personal injury lawyer when seeking justice.
Understanding how these injuries occur is the first step in prevention and seeking legal recourse if you or a loved one has experienced a spinal cord injury in Portland.
What is a Thoracic Spinal Cord Injury?
A thoracic spinal cord injury is a specific type of spinal cord trauma that occurs within the mid-back region, known as the thoracic spine. This area of the spine is a crucial component of the spinal column, consisting of twelve vertebrae (T1 to T12) that are situated between the cervical (neck) and lumbar (lower back) regions. Each of these vertebrae corresponds to a specific segment of the thoracic spinal cord, and they are responsible for various functions within the body.
Consequences of a Thoracic Spinal Cord Injury
A thoracic spinal cord injury can bring about a range of life-altering consequences. This type of injury often leads to significant changes in a person’s physical capabilities and daily life.
A thoracic spinal cord injury can result in:
- Partial or complete paralysis below the injury level
- Loss of sensation and motor function in the legs and lower body
- Challenges with mobility, including the use of wheelchairs or mobility aids
- Respiratory and digestive issues, depending on the injury’s severity
- The need for ongoing medical care and rehabilitation
Navigating the consequences of a thoracic spinal cord injury can be extremely difficult, but seeking the right support and legal representation can make a significant difference in the victim’s ability to recover both physically and financially after such an injury.
Potential Compensation Available in Spinal Cord Injury Cases in Portland
In the aftermath of a spinal cord injury, it is essential to consider the potential compensation available to cover the significant costs and losses that victims may incur. While the focus should always be on recovery, understanding the financial aspects is vital for securing a stable future.
Compensation in spinal cord injury cases in the Portland area may encompass:
- Present and Future Medical Costs: This includes medical bills, rehabilitation expenses, and ongoing healthcare needs.
- Lost Wages: Spinal cord injuries often result in time away from work, and compensation can help cover lost income.
- Pain and Suffering: Compensation may be available for the physical and emotional suffering endured due to the injury.
- Loss of Consortium: This pertains to the impact on personal relationships and companionship.
- Disability Accommodations: Expenses related to making necessary adjustments for individuals with disabilities.
- Punitive Damages: In cases of egregious negligence, punitive damages may be awarded as a form of punishment.
Securing the most compensation available is essential for individuals and families dealing with spinal cord injuries.
Contact a Portland Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer for Help
If you or a loved one has experienced a spinal cord injury in the Portland area, seeking legal assistance is crucial. Navigating the complexities of these cases and pursuing the compensation you deserve requires the experience of a skilled spinal cord injury lawyer.
Our team at Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC is here to provide the support and legal representation you need during this challenging time. With years of experience in handling spinal cord injury cases, we are dedicated to helping you obtain justice and secure the compensation necessary for your recovery and future well-being.
For a free consultation and to discuss your case with us, please fill out the form on this page or call us at (503) 226-6361.