Oregon Bicycle Accident Attorney
Cycling’s popularity in Oregon has been on a steady rise, offering a green and healthy mode of transportation and recreation. However, with this increase comes a higher risk of bicycle accidents which often lead to serious injuries. At Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC, we understand the unique challenges faced by cyclists on Oregon roads. Our dedicated legal team is committed to providing exceptional legal support to those affected by bicycle accidents. We stand ready to navigate the complex legal landscape and fight for the rights and interests of cyclists.
Understanding Oregon Bicycle Laws
Oregon’s bicycle laws are comprehensive, addressing various aspects of cycling safety and road sharing:
- Right to the Road: Cyclists are entitled to use the full lane when necessary for safety, such as when avoiding hazards or preparing for a left turn.
- Helmet Law: Although helmets are mandatory for cyclists under 16, all riders are encouraged to wear them for safety.
- Passing Laws: Motorists must maintain a safe distance, typically defined as at least three feet, when passing cyclists.
- Stop Signs and Signals: Cyclists must obey all traffic signs and signals, including stopping at stop signs and red lights.
- Bike Lanes: Where present, cyclists are generally required to use bike lanes, though they may leave the lane to avoid hazards or to prepare for turns.
- Sidewalk Riding: In some areas, particularly in business districts, riding on sidewalks may be prohibited.
- Alcohol and Cycling: Similar to driving, cycling under the influence of intoxicants is illegal and can lead to DUI charges.
At Paulson Coletti, we use our deep understanding of these laws to advocate for cyclists’ rights and safety in legal proceedings.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents in Oregon often stem from a variety of situations:
- Dooring: This occurs when a driver or passenger opens a car door into a cyclist’s path without checking for oncoming bikes. Such incidents often result in the cyclist colliding with the door or swerving into traffic.
- Right-of-Way Violations: Intersections are common sites for accidents, especially when drivers fail to yield to cyclists while turning or entering roadways.
- Rear-End Crashes: These can happen when a cyclist stops at an intersection or slows down unexpectedly, and the trailing motorist fails to stop in time.
- Side-Swipe Accidents: Caused by drivers who misjudge their lateral distance from cyclists, leading to sideswipe collisions, especially in narrow lanes.
- Distracted Driving: Motorists using mobile devices, adjusting the radio, or otherwise not focusing on the road can easily overlook cyclists, leading to accidents.
Our team at Paulson Coletti is adept at handling cases involving these and other causes of bicycle accidents, utilizing our legal experience and skill to safeguard the rights and well-being of injured cyclists.
The Legal Recourse for Cyclists Injured in Bicycle Accidents in Oregon
Cyclists injured in Oregon have several legal options:
- Personal Injury Claims: An injured cyclist can file a claim against the at-fault party for damages including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Insurance Claims: An injured cyclist may be entitled to file an insurance claim with the driver’s or their own insurance provider, depending on coverage and the accident’s specifics.
- Product Liability: If the accident was due to a defective bicycle or component, a product liability claim against the manufacturer might be applicable.
- Wrongful Death Claims: In tragic cases, the family of a deceased cyclist can pursue a wrongful death claim against the at-fault party.
In each case, the legal approach will depend on the specifics of the accident, the parties involved, and the applicable laws. Paulson Coletti is skilled in navigating these legal processes on behalf of injured cyclists, and we are committed to fighting for the best possible outcome.
Establishing Liability for Injuries Resulting from a Bicycle Accident
Establishing liability in Oregon bicycle accidents involves:
- Determining Negligence: Identifying if the driver, cyclist, or another party failed to exercise reasonable care.
- Proving Fault: Gathering evidence like traffic camera footage, witness statements, and police reports to prove fault.
- Comparative Negligence Rule: In cases where both parties share fault, Oregon’s comparative negligence rule may apply to determine compensation.
- Investigating Road Conditions: Evaluating if poor road conditions contributed to the accident.
The Oregon bicycle accident attorneys at Paulson Coletti have the experienced legal skills necessary to accurately determine and prove liability in bicycle accident cases and ensure rightful compensation for injured cyclists.
What to Do After a Bicycle Accident
In the event of a bicycle accident in Oregon, it is important to take the following steps to protect your physical well-being and preserve your right to compensation:
- Move to Safety and Check for Injuries: Prioritize your safety. Move to the sidewalk or a safe area. Check yourself and others for injuries. If serious injuries are present, call 911 immediately.
- Documenting the Scene: Take comprehensive photographs of the accident scene, including all vehicles involved, any visible injuries, road conditions, and traffic signs. This visual evidence can be vital for your claim.
- Witness Information: Gather contact information from any witnesses. Witness accounts can provide an objective perspective of the accident, which is invaluable in legal cases.
- Medical Attention: Visit a healthcare professional as soon as possible. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent. Medical records will serve as important documentation of your injuries.
- Police Report: Ensure that a police report is filed. This official document is crucial for insurance and legal purposes.
- Keep Records: Maintain a file of all documents related to the accident, including medical bills, police reports, and any communication with insurance companies.
- Consult an experienced Oregon Bicycle Accident Attorney: Before making any statements or agreements with any insurance companies, consult with a bicycle accident attorney. Legal counsel is essential to navigate the complexities of accident claims and to protect your rights.
The attorneys of Paulson Coletti are skilled in assisting bicycle accident victims through this process, offering experienced legal guidance every step of the way.
How We Can Help
At Paulson Coletti, we offer comprehensive legal support to bicycle accident victims:
- Case Evaluation: We begin with a thorough assessment of your case, considering the specifics of the accident and applicable laws.
- Investigative Support: Our team gathers all necessary evidence, including accident reports, medical records, and witness statements.
- Skilled Representation: We represent you in all legal proceedings, from negotiations with insurance companies to court appearances, if necessary.
- Maximizing Compensation: Our goal is for you to receive full compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.
- Personalized Attention: We provide each client with dedicated attention, understanding the personal impact of a bicycle accident.
Why Choose Paulson Coletti?
Choosing Paulson Coletti for your bicycle accident case means selecting a law firm that is:
- Experienced in Oregon Bicycle Law: Our attorneys have a deep understanding of the nuances of bicycle law in Oregon.
- Client-Focused Approach: We treat each case with the attention and compassion it deserves.
- Proven Track Record: Our history of successful settlements and verdicts speaks to our commitment and dedication.
- No Win, No Fee: We work on a contingency basis, meaning you pay no fees unless we win your case.
Contact an Oregon Bicycle Accident Attorney at Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident in Oregon, don’t navigate the aftermath alone. The experienced Oregon bicycle accident attorneys at Paulson Coletti Trial Attorneys PC are here to help. We invite you to reach out to us for a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your case. Let us advocate for your rights and work towards the compensation you deserve. Contact us today to begin your journey towards justice and recovery.