Heat pump shock
A Kansas man just won a nearly $10 million lawsuit against a heat pump manufacturer for getting shocked and severely injured from what he claims was defective manufacturing. A jury found the manufacturer 60 percent responsible for the accident and the remaining 40 percent was the Kansas man’s fault.
Donald Chapman was jolted by 480 volts in 2008 when he attempted to do some repair to a heat pump made by FHP Manufacturing that was still connected to the building’s power supply. The electrical shock threw Chapman from a ladder, and he ended up hitting the corner of a table before falling to the ground. Chapman blames a faulty design that exposed a live wire, but FHP contends Chapman is at fault for the accident because he didn’t follow service procedures.
The award includes $4.5 million in punitive damages in addition to money for pain and suffering. FHP plans to appeal.