Employer Liability FAQ | Portland Work Injury Attorney

For Oregon workers injured on the job, securing the compensation they deserve can be a confusing and convoluted process. Our attorneys break down Oregon’s employer liability law.

What’s the difference between workers’ compensation and employer liability?

Workers’ compensation is a type of insurance that your employer carries to protect them against liability in the event that you or any other employee is injured on the job. Any injured employee who qualifies and files a prompt claim can recover compensation through workers’ comp insurance. Employer liability is different because it is filed against a party other than your employer. This is why employer liability law usually applies to independent contractors.

Do qualifying employees all have to work in a hazardous occupation?

According to Oregon Revised Statutes 654.305, employer liability law applies to individuals or entities who are in charge of workers engaged in a hazardous occupation. 654.310 goes on to say that compliance with workplace safety regulations applies to those engaged in “construction-type fields.”

Who can I file an employer liability claim against?

According to the Oregon Revised Statutes Chapter 654, employees injured on the job may be able to file these types of claims against a person or company if they:

  • Were in charge of the employee’s work
  • Were responsible for dictating how that work was performed
  • Was engaged in a common enterprise with the injured party’s actual employer

How does Oregon define a “common enterprise”?

In Oregon, a “common enterprise” is defined as an arrangement between two parties/businesses who have joined together in order to accomplish a singular goal. In order for an arrangement to be considered a common enterprise, a formal designated relationship does not have to exist (on paper). It can be implied.

Can I file an employer liability claim if my spouse was killed on the job?

If your spouse met all the qualifications under employer liability law, and they were killed while performing their job duties, then family members may be able to file this type of claim to recover compensation. Parties that can file this type of claim include spouses, children, and other heirs or family members if the worker had no spouse or children.

How do I know if I can file this type of claim?

The best way to find out if you can file this type of claim is by contacting an attorney experienced in these matters. Paulson Coletti’s attorneys have handled many work injury cases including claims that fall under Oregon’s employer liability law.

Call us at (503) 226-6361 or fill out a free online consultation form.