Portlanders love to go out for breakfast, but there is a small group of
breakfast eaters who aren’t in love with the eggs benedict served
at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in NE Portland. A year ago a group of county
commissioners gathered for a nationwide meeting. A handful of the attendees
ate eggs benedict at the hotel and got sick. One of them, North Carolina’s
Bill Stanley, was ill enough that he had to go to the hospital. The 83-year-old
recently sued Hollander Investments, the company that owns the hotel.
An investigation discovered that the hollandaise sauce was the culprit.
More than a half-dozen people got sick from the sauce that morning, and
two of them were hospitalized, including Stanley. The sauce apparently
was not kept at high enough temperatures. The bacterium that sickened
the people was Staphylococcus aureus. The hotel, which received good marks
from health inspectors, has since removed hollandaise sauce from its menu.
Still, Stanley is not happy with the hotel’s settlement offer. Though
two other people who were sickened by the sauce have settled with Hollander
Investments, Stanley was unable to reach a satisfactory agreement with
the company, thus prompting the lawsuit, filed by Seattle attorney Drew
Falkenstein. Stanley is asking for compensation to cover his medical expenses,
which he says reached some $14,000, plus a minimum of $26,000 in noneconomic damages.
For more on this story, see