A Kansas man just won a nearly $10 million lawsuit against a heat pump
manufacturer for getting shocked and severely injured from what he claims
was defective manufacturing. A jury found the manufacturer 60 percent
responsible for the accident and the remaining 40 percent was the Kansas
Donald Chapman was jolted by 480 volts in 2008 when he attempted to do
some repair to a heat pump made by FHP Manufacturing that was still connected
to the building’s power supply. The electrical shock threw Chapman
from a ladder, and he ended up hitting the corner of a table before falling
to the ground. Chapman blames a faulty design that exposed a live wire,
but FHP contends Chapman is at fault for the accident because he didn’t
follow service procedures.
The award includes $4.5 million in punitive damages in addition to money
for pain and suffering. FHP plans to appeal.